There is a huge amount of online support out there for trainees currently. We have put together some information below of the most important sources. Don't forget; if you are struggling, we can provide 1:1 (virtual) counselling and coaching with our specialist external providers if needed, in some cases within within 24-48 hours. Just drop us an email or give us a call.
1. Face to Face and Online Simulation Coaching
- Nottingham University Hospitals have offered their clinical skills rooms to returning trainees who wish to practice their skills. Please email their SuppoRTT Team at firstname.lastname@example.org to book a slot.
- University Hospitals of Leicester have offered free 1:2:1 Simulation Support (for UHL trainees only) and Virtual Reality Simulation support (for all trainees regardles of region and specialty). This is a great opportunity for SuppoRTT trainees to access either 1:1 sessions with the SIMs team or use the Virtual reality SIM scenarios. If you are due to return to training and feel you might benefit from the support, please contact Malcolm Smith at email@example.com with the following information: 1 - Return date; 2 - Specialty; 3 - Grade; 4 - Educational supervision. Even if you are not sure if it is applicable to your specialty, the VR SIM is available free of charge to SuppoRTT trainees in UHL and so feel free to try it and find out.
2. Online Resources for Clinical Updates & e-Learning
1. HEE e-Learning for Healthcare (e-LfH)
HEE e-LfH’s Covid-19 e-learning programme is free to access, with no requirement to log in, for the entire UK health and care workforce, including the NHS, independent sector and social care. Recently added content includes a remote consultation session for GPs that has been added to the folder for staff working in community setting, Quick Reference Guides (QRGs) for the medical and nursing workforce and Standard Operating Procedures, specifically for staff working in NHS Nightingale. For more information and to access the programme select here.
b. SuppoRTT for doctors returning to work in the pandemic - Knowledge Refreshers, Podcasts and Facebook pages
Refresher Webinars - These are a series of webinars; knowledge refresher sessions for doctors who are coming back from a break from clinical practice into an unprecedented and uncertain period of clinical work. All of the sessions are recorded and can be watched after a few days (to allow editing) here: https://www.hee.nhs.uk/our-work/doctors-training/supporting-doctors-returning-training-after-time-out/supportt-digital-online-resources
Podcasts - SuppoRTT Podcasts have now launched! They cover a range of themes: well being, return to training, redeployment, difficult communication, supervision etc. You can listen to the first 2 episodes here https://anchor.fm/health-education-england/episodes/PSUs-Pandemic-Podcast--In-Discussion-ee03du?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=SocialSignIn
FaceBook Pages -
- Facebook Group – Covid Returning Doctors Support (3 membership Qs, these must be answered before access to the group is granted):
- Facebook Group – Covid Doctors Forum (UK):
The SuppoRTT offices will also be converting their usual courses and workshops to Skype/Zoom (check the regional SuppoRTT websites for further details).
c. Webinars for Paediatric Trainees returning to training from the RCPCH
Please use this link to access webinars for returning paediatric trainees https://www.rcpch.ac.uk/resources/webinar-archive
Current GMC guidance can also be found here: www.gmc-uk.org/news/news-archive/coronavirus-information-and-advice/our-guidance-for-doctors
d. Other sources:
RCP e-Learning: https://learning.rcpe.ac.uk/
RCEM Learning https://www.rcemlearning.co.uk/
RCPSG e-Learning: https://rcpsg.ac.uk/elearning#Physicians
RCEM Clinical Updates: https://www.rcem.ac.uk/RCEM/Quality_Policy/Clinical_Standards_Guidance/RCEM/Quality_Policy/Clinical_Standards_Guidance/Clinical_Standards_Guidance.aspx?hkey=9c68a641-1003-468a-81dc-48e3b4926c01
Critical Care Education Updates: https://www.rcoa.ac.uk/events-professional-development/education-professional-development/rcoa-videos/critical-care
3. How to prepare for Return to Training (COVID-19)/Where to get up to date information about COVID 19
For information about COVID-19 your first port of call should always be our website at: https://www.hee.nhs.uk/coronavirus-covid-19 This page is being regularly updated so please check for latest information.
The following sources of learning material have been compiled:
- ICM Cross-skill training for COVID-19: https://icmanaesthesiacovid-19.org/cross-skilling
- Association of Anaesthetists: https://anaesthetists.org/Home/Resources-publications/COVID-19-guidance (Webinar created 14/03/2020)
- King’s Critical Care - Evidence Summary of Clinical Management of COVID-19 (created 09/03/2020) https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eo14SWJvIHvblBBXwm3AGosTomaa6oMF/view
- New England Journal of Medicine: https://www.nejm.org/doi/pdf/10.1056/NEJMoa2002032?articleTools=true
- Lancet: https://www.thelancet.com/coronavirus
- BMJ: https://bestpractice.bmj.com/topics/en-gb/3000168
- Paeds: https://dontforgetthebubbles.com/evidence-summary-paediatric-covid-19-literature/
The following are sources where you will find the up to date guidance around COVID and PPE
- AMoRC: https://www.aomrc.org.uk/covid-19/ (guidance)
- NHS England and NHS Improvement coronavirus: www.england.nhs.uk/coronavirus/
- PHE (COVID19): https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/wuhan-novel-coronavirus
- PHE guidance for Health Professionals: https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/coronavirus-covid-19-list-of-guidance#guidance-for-health-professionals
- PPE (guidance): https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/wuhan-novel-coronavirus-infection-prevention-and-control
- Patient Info: https://bestpractice.bmj.com/patient-leaflets/en-gb/pdf/3000166/Coronavirus.pdf
Training & Recruitment Updates
- COVID Specialty Training updates: https://specialtytraining.hee.nhs.uk/Coronavirus-COVID-19
- COVID Info for trainees: https://www.hee.nhs.uk/coronavirus-information-trainees
- HEE COVID Info: https://www.hee.nhs.uk/coronavirus-covid-19
- Letter HEE Deputy Medical Director: https://www.hee.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/documents/COVID-19%20letter%20to%20Trusts%20and%20GP%20Practices%2010.03.2020.pdf
- HEE Policy & Procedure for major outbreaks https://www.hee.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/documents/Policy%20and%20Procedure%20for%20Management%20of%20Pandemic%20and%20Major%20Infectious%20Disease%20Outbreaks_0.pdf
Advice for sustaining staff wellbeing in critical care during and beyond covid-19 (Intensive Care Society) https://anaesthetists.org/Portals/0/PDFs/Sustaining%20wellbeing%20COVID19.pdf.pdf?ver=2020-03-13-132934-557
COVID-19 and Occupational Health (OH) in the NHS (Faculty of Occupational Medicine https://www.nhshealthatwork.co.uk/images/library/files/FOM_and_NHS_H@W_Covid_guidance_FINAL_12032020.pdf
Supporting doctors in the event of a Covid-19 epidemic in the UK (GMC Joint Statement) https://www.gmc-uk.org/news/news-archive/supporting-doctors-in-the-event-of-a-covid19-epidemic-in-the-uk