Requesting Leave

For information regarding Study Leave expenses, please see our dedicated Expenses page (

International Leave requests

Please see our dedicated page for information about requesting international leave here:

Approved Courses/Events

Each School and Programme has prepared a list of pre-approved events (courses, events or Royal College exams where appropriate) for trainees in their School to attend. The full list of approved events has been added to Leave Manager so that trainees may select the appropriate event from a menu when requesting leave. You can also see the full list on our Resources & Guidance page. Please note that this is a live document and is regularly updated by Schools/Programmes, so we recommend not printing this/sharing over email and instead always checking the version on our website.

Activities classed as Curriculum Requirement for your Programme and Grade are called ‘Standard Applications’.

Standard Applications

These can be submitted wherever the activity is classed as a Curriculum Requirement on the Approved Events list, and is preapproved for your Programme and current Grade. This will also be replicated in the initial drop-down menu when you go to submit a leave request. These activities only require the approval of your Rota Coordinator/JDA/local equivalent (and your Programme Office, if you are in a GP training programme).

If the activity is not on the approved list for your Programme and Grade, you will need to submit an Exception application.

Exception Applications

This will be required for any activity classed as Recommended or Additional on the Approved Events list, or one that is simply not included as an approved event for your Programme and current Grade. Once the application has been authorised by your Rota Approver (Rota Coordinator/JDA/local equivalent), it will then be automatically escalated to your Educational (Exception) approver (who will be your TPD/Head of School as appropriate). Please note that your Exception Approver will not be able to see the request until/unless it has been authorised by your Rota Coordinator/JDA/local equivalent.

Foundation Year 2 Exception Leave

For doctors in Year 2 Foundation training, there is facility to use some of your Taster Leave towards attending Exception activities (i.e. activities outside of your curriculum requirements), including courses and specialty exams. If this applies to you, you must discuss your request with your Educational Supervisor and local FTPD who can advise whether this is appropriate for you in your circumstances and your current progression within the programme. If both agree that this is appropriate then you can submit this as an Exception request on Leave Manager. One day of external leave is allocated to each FY2 trainee automatically, to use for this purpose. If you require more than one day of study leave, please contact us ( so that we can update your entitlements. Please note that neither foundation school will grant study (taster) leave for exam preparation.

The School has also provided some specific guidance relating to Foundation CPD.

Relevant policies/guidance

Can you show me how to apply?

Yes – we have produced a video in conjunction with Nottingham University Hospitals. This takes you through the different application processes (eg applying for study, exam or private leave).


How do I apply for an online course?

You can apply for online courses or conferences in the same way as you would for a face-to-face course. When applying for an online course, please ensure that you specify the venue to "Online".

I am unable to log in – how do I obtain login credentials?

You should received your login details when you started with us, to the email address you registered with us. If you have lost them, you can have a reminder sent to you. Open Intrepid on the internet and click on ‘Forgot your PIN or Password’ – type your email address and follow the instructions on screen. Your login credentials will then be emailed to you.  If your login email does not match the email you enter, and you do not receive login credentials, email with your first name, surname, GMC/GDC number and preferred email address.  Please put “Trainee Login Request” in the subject.

The system won’t let me apply – why is this?

We added a number of rules into ‘Leave Manager Plus’ when we improved the system in August 2014. For example, if you are trying to submit a retrospective application (ie an activity that starts on the day you're applying or before), the system will not allow you to do so as retrospective applications are not permitted; this will show as there being "no approvers for the post and criteria selected". Also, if you try to apply for a course that costs more than your available budget, you won’t be able to apply for the full cost. You should only apply for the amount of money you have left (or less).  The same applies to the number of days you have left.

In order to apply, you must first be in a post on Intrepid; your post must have Approvers (eg Rota Co-ordinator/JDA) recorded against it (otherwise the post will show as 'Closed') and finally your entitlement/budget must be recorded (you can check this in the Leave Entitlements section of your account).

If you suspect some of this has not been done, please contact HEE at

My placements are wrong/missing; who do I contact?

Placements are all managed by our Programmes Team; please contact the team on the appropriate address below:

My post is 'Closed'; what does this mean?

If your post is 'Closed', this means that Leave Approvers are not set up for this post. Usually this is simply because it is a new post number (Leave Approvers are attached to post numbers).

Please contact the HEE team ( who can investigate and set up the approvers as appropriate.

How do I check my study leave/budget entitlements?

Once you've logged into your Leave Manager account and go to Leave Entitlements (under the LEAVE MANAGER tab on the left-hand side): Look for the current training year (this will normally be at the top of each section).

As a reminder, the study leave year runs from changeover date in August to the changeover date the following August except for programmes with nationally agreed start dates in September, where the leave year is September to September. This applies regardless of individual trainees’ progression dates.

Intrepid says that there are “no approvers for the post and criteria selected”!

There are two possibilities:

  1. You are attempting to submit a retrospective leave application; as per the Study Leave policy, all leave requests must be submitted prospectively.
    • If you feel that you have mitigating circumstances that should be considered, please email us (
  2. If your leave request is prospective, please firstly check the dates you are requesting in case there is a typo (e.g. typing 2018 instead of 2019). If this does not resolve the issue, please email us ( as there may be an issue with your post number on Intrepid.
What do the different Leave Types mean?

“Private” leave is for private exam revision, in the run-up to an exam. You’re entitled to a maximum of 5 Private leave days a year, and this comes out of your External entitlement. Please note that Foundation trainees cannot apply for Private leave, as exams are not part of the Foundation curriculum. Please note that you cannot apply for expenses for Private leave, as it must only be used for days when you are revising privately yourself (and therefore should not incur any costs).

“Exam” leave is for attending exams, and always comes out of your External entitlement.

“Study” leave is for everything else.

What do the School prefixes mean on Intrepid/the Approved Events list?

You will note that some activities have the prefix ‘General’, or the School that they relate to (e.g ‘Paediatrics’). This new prefix format (replacing the old ‘HEEM’ prefix) reflects the Schools that have submitted an approved activity with the same name; a specific School name means that the activity is exclusive to that School, while ‘General’ means that other Schools have also submitted this activity. This is designed to help trainees find Exception activities (as the list will alphabetised by the prefix on Intrepid, so relevant activities would be grouped in either the General or respective School sections), to help Educational Supervisors/Exception approvers determine appropriate activities (approvers can see at a glance whether the activity is from their School’s list, the General list, or from another School’s list), and HEE with reporting and determining the appetite for activities (for example, if there are multiple Schools that have a number of trainees doing the same activity, and spending a large amount of study leave money, there may be scope to run the same course locally across Schools rather than asking trainees to travel around the country for it).

There is no practical difference between the prefixes; they are only there to support ease of use and analysis.

I missed adding expenses/there's an error on my leave request; what should I do? Should I cancel the leave?

Cancelling leave requests should only be done when you are no longer planning to attend the activity you applied for.

Leave requests can no longer be edited once they have been submitted on Intrepid as they are under review/have been approved by your approvers on the basis of the information you have provided.

If there is something wrong with/missing from your leave request, please contact HEE ( with the details you need changing (including the breakdown of expenses, e.g. course fees, public transport, accommodation, mileage), and we can amend/add to your leave request as appropriate.

How do I cancel a leave request?

Cancelling leave requests should only be done when you are no longer planning to attend the activity you applied for. If there is something wrong with/missing from your leave request, please contact HEE (, and we can amend/add to your leave request as appropriate.

In order to cancel a leave request that you have submitted but you will no longer be attending the activity, please follow the below instructions:

  1. Login to your Leave Manager account (at
  2. Go to Leave Manager (under the LEAVE MANAGER tab)
  3. Click on the leave request that you want to cancel to open it
  4. Scroll to the bottom of the page
  5. Give a reason for the cancellation (this doesn't need to be lengthy or too detailed; it's just for your leave approvers' reference)
  6. Click Request Cancellation
I've cancelled a leave request but the days/money is still coming out of my entitlements!

Cancellations must be acknowledged by your leave approvers before they are released back to you. If you need the time/budget back urgently and your leave approvers are not responding, please contact HEE (

Cancelling leave requests should only be done when you are no longer planning to attend the activity you applied for. If there is something wrong with/missing from your leave request, please contact us, and we can amend/add to your leave request as appropriate.

I am LTFT/on maternity leave/started part way through the year/post-CCT/OOP - how does this affect my study leave entitlement?
  • As with annual leave Less Than Full-time Trainees (LTFT) receive study leave days pro-rata to a whole time trainee in any one calendar year. If the planned number of study leave days in any one year will exceed the entitlement available, this may be increased on a case-by-case basis subject to written (emailed to approval from your TPD/Head of School for specific activities (i.e. you must have a clear plan of how you will use your days, rather than just requesting an additional X days).
  • If you are in clinical training in an East Midlands Trust post, you can access the uncapped budget regardless of being LTFT for as long as you are in that post.
  • Trainees on maternity leave will receive a reduced entitlement for their maternity leave period.
  • Trainees who start or complete their training part way through the study leave year will receive a pro-rata entitlement until the end of the leave year. This also applies to trainees who start in February.
  • Entitlement to study leave ends once a trainee reaches CCT and trainees are not entitled to study leave during the Period of Grace.
  • Trainees on Out of Programme Experience (OOPE), Out of Programme Research (OOPR) or Out of Programme Career Break (OOPC) are not entitled to study leave for the period they are out of programme. Trainees on Out of Programme Training (OOPT) are normally only entitled to study leave for this period if they are occupying a training post on a training programme in our region.


The number of days allocated to me is not what I expected.  Why is this?

If your entitlement on Leave Manager does not match the figure on the policy, and you are not affected by any of the factors above, please contact us.

Can I 'transfer' days from Internal to External (or vice versa)?

The Internal/External split is set at the beginning of the academic year by your TPD, based on the most appropriate distribution for all trainees on the programme.

However, we recognise that some trainees may have different needs. If you feel that you need more of one type of days and less of the other, please contact your TPD to discuss this. If they are supportive, please ask them to email to confirm the number of days to be 'transferred', and we will update Leave Manager accordingly.

I have changed my email address who should I inform?

Trainee details are primarily managed by our Programmes Team; please contact the team on the appropriate address below:

I have forgotten my login details, how can I access the system?

Open Intrepid on the internet: and click on ‘Forgot your PIN or Password’ – type your email address and follow the instructions on screen. Your login credentials will then be emailed to you. If your login email does not match the email you enter, and you do not receive login credentials, email with your Firstname, Surname, GMC/GDC number and preferred email. Put “Trainee Login Request” in the subject.

How will I know if my application is approved?

You will receive an automated email stating your application has been approved or declined. You will be able to monitor the progress of your request at any time on Intrepid. Where provided, approvers’ notes are recorded against their decisions – it is important you read these as there may be some important information for you.

You can also check the progress of your application at any time in the Leave Manager section of your account (under the LEAVE MANAGER tab).

Is there someone I can talk to about my request?

Each organisation will have a Study Leave Co-ordinator. A full list can be found at the bottom of this page.

My Exception approver (TPD/Head of School) can’t see the leave request!

There are two possible reasons for this:
1. TPD/Head of School approval is only required for Exception applications; it's not required for Standard applications (i.e. curriculum required activities).
2. The Exception approver (TPD/Head of School) doesn't see leave requests until/unless it's been approved by the rota coordinator/JDA/practice manager/local equivalent. If your TPD/Head of School can't see your Exception request, it's worth checking that it's been approved by the rota coordinator/etc. first.

Can I appeal this process?

Yes; please refer to the Study Leave Policy