Curriculum Study Leave
Health Education England has responsibility for setting strategy for Curriculum Study Leave, for managing the online application system (Intrepid Leave Manager), managing the budget and for hearing appeals. The online application system was launched in August 2013 and manages Curriculum Study Leave applications for all trainees in the East Midlands region. Since then we have developed the system (we call it ‘Leave Manager Plus’) to further streamline the process and provide a better service to users.
Each School has prepared a list of pre-approved events (courses, events or Royal College exams where appropriate) for trainees in their School to attend. The full list of approved events has been added to Leave Manager so that trainees may select the appropriate event from a menu when requesting leave. In many cases these lists are targeted to a specific level of training – for example an ST4 in Paediatrics might be able to apply for a course that might not be relevant to an ST5 in Paediatrics etc. These applications are called ‘Standard Applications’. Where relevant, the system will allow a trainee to apply for an event that is not on the approved list. This is called an ‘Exception Request’. Some trainees are not permitted to apply for Exception Requests (eg F1 doctors) – this is specific to some Schools, depending on the requirements of the training programme.
We’re happy to help!
If you need assistance when applying for leave, please read the policy or guidance notes provided under the ‘Downloads’ area on this page. You may also wish to contact your Trust’s Study Leave Co-ordinator. They are usually based in the Education Centre. A list of them is also available on this page. If you have a technical query about Leave Manager, or a query relating to policy, please contact us. CSL is managed by the Educator and School Development Team. You can reach us by email on CSL.email@example.com or by phone on 0300 303 3603.
We also have a page for Known Intrepid Issues; www.eastmidlandsdeanery.nhs.uk/policies/study_leave/known_intrepid_issues. If you're having issues, you may want to check there to see if we're aware, and a solution if applicable.
CSL Policy updates
The current version of the CSL Policy will always be published on our website in the Downloads area on the right of this page. Where the policy is updated, a note will appear on the website with a brief summary of the change.
- 20 June 2018. The national study leave process has changed; the East Midlands policy has been updated to reflect this.
- HEE have produced a brief video highlighting some of the changes to study budgets; please note that this is only a brief introduction, and the CSL Policy details how this is implemented and accessed in HEE East Midlands
If you’d like to provide feedback, we’d like to hear from you. You can do that by clicking here.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you show me how to apply?
Yes – we have produced a video in conjunction with Nottingham University Hospitals. This takes you through the different application processes (eg applying for study, exam or private leave).
I am unable to log in – how do I obtain login credentials?
We should have issued your login details when you started with us. If you have lost them, you can have a reminder sent to you. Open Intrepid on the internet and click on ‘Forgot your PIN or Password’ – type your email address and follow the instructions on screen. Your login credentials will then be emailed to you. If your login email does not match the email you enter, and you do not receive login credentials, email ProgrammeAnalysis.ME@hee.nhs.uk with your first name, surname and GMC number. Put “Trainee Login Request” in the subject.
The system won’t let me apply – why is this?
We added a number of rules into ‘Leave Manager Plus’ when we improved the system in August 2014. For example, if you are trying to submit a retrospective application (i.e. an activity that starts on the day you're applying or before), the system will not allow you to do so as retrospective applications are not permitted; this will show as there being "no approvers for the post and criteria selected". Also, if you try to apply for a course that costs more than your available budget, you won’t be able to apply for the full cost. You should only apply for the amount of money you have left (or less). The same applies to the number of days you have left.
In order to apply, you must first be in a post on Intrepid; your post must have Approvers (e.g. Rota Co-ordinator/JDA) recorded against it (otherwise the post will show as 'Closed') and finally your entitlement/budget must be recorded. If you suspect some of this has not been done, please contact HEE at CSL.firstname.lastname@example.org.
My placements are wrong/missing; who do I contact?
Placements are all managed by our Programmes Team; please contact the team on the appropriate address below:
- For doctors in Foundation programmes: FoundationProgrammes.EM@hee.nhs.uk
- For doctors in General Practice programmes: GPProgrammes.EM@hee.nhs.uk
- For all other trainees on East Midlands training programmes: SpecialtyProgrammes.EM@hee.nhs.uk
Why are the rules built into Leave Manager?
The rules have been created in the new system to reduce the number of people in approval chains, speed up approval times and provide more accuracy. These changes have improved the experience for trainees, and enables us to provide a better service to users. The changes made to Intrepid provide us with more time to proactively manage the overall system and provide service to users.
How do I find out my CSL entitlement?
Once you have logged in, go to Leave Entitlement under Leave Manager.
My budget should be uncapped, but I only have £1000 on my Intrepid account; why is this?
As per the CSL policy, due to the requirements of the Leave Manager system, a budget must be set in order for expenses to be claimed. We have agreed an initial budget of £1000 will be added to all eligible doctors’ accounts for the 2018/19 training year as this is likely to exceed most doctors’ requirements. If you need your budget increasing, please email CSL.EM@hee.nhs.uk with the figure you need your budget increasing to.
I am LTFT/on maternity leave/started part way through the year/post-CCT/OOP - how does this affect my study leave entitlement?
- Less Than Full-time Trainees (LTFT) receive study leave pro-rata to a whole time trainee in any one year. If the number of days in any one year is exceeded discretion can be used during the approval process.
- Trainees on maternity leave will receive a reduced entitlement for their maternity leave period.
- Trainees who start or complete their training part way through the study leave year will receive a pro-rata entitlement until the end of the leave year. This also applies to trainees who start in February.
- Entitlement to CSL ends once a trainee reaches CCT and trainees are not entitled to CSL during the Period of Grace.
- Trainees on Out of Programme Experience (OOPE), Out of Programme Research (OOPR) or Out of Programme Career Break (OOPC) are not entitled to CSL for the period they are out of programme. Trainees on Out of Programme Training (OOPT) are normally only entitled to CSL for this period if they are occupying a training post on a training programme in our region.
The number of days allocated to me is not what I expected. Why is this?
If your entitlement on Leave Manager does not match the figure on the policy, and you are not affected by any of the factors above, please contact us.
When does my budget refresh?
The study leave year runs from changeover date in August to the changeover date the following August except for programmes with nationally agreed start dates in September, where the leave year is September to September. Unused study leave entitlement (either days or money) cannot be carried forward to the next leave year.
How do I claim reimbursement of expenses?
In order to claim money from your study leave budget the following needs to happen
- You need to submit a study leave application on Intrepid Leave Manager in advance of the study leave taking place and you need to include estimated expenses in your application.
- The application needs to be approved on Intrepid.
- After the study leave has taken place you need to follow your Trust’s/Programme Office’s process for claiming the expenses within 6 weeks.
- If you are unsure of your Trust’s process, your local Education Centre or HR department will be able to advise you.
Where do I find the approved list of courses for my specialty training programme?
The list of approved events will be displayed to you when you apply for leave. This list will depend on your training grade. This means that the list you see might be slightly different to a colleague in the same specialty if they are not in the same year of training. You will only see events that have been marked applicable to your specialty.
What happens if the course I want to attend is not on the list?
Each School has nominated an Exception Approver who will review any request which is not on the approved list. They will only be asked to consider your application if you apply for something that is not on the approved list.
My TPD/Head of School can't see my leave request!
There are two possible reasons for this:
- TPD/Head of School approval is only required for Exception applications (see above); it's not required for Standard applications (from the approved list).
- The Exception appprover (TPD/Head of School) doesn't see leave requests until/unless it's been approved by the rota coordinator/JDA/practice manager/local equivalent. If your TPD/Head of School can't see your Exception request, it's worth checking that it's been approved by the rota coordinator/etc. first.
I have changed my email address who should I inform?
If you have changed your email address you should log into the system with the credentials you have been sent. Once logged in, click 'My account' on the top left and there is an option for you to change your email address. If you have any queries or difficulties, please contact us.
I have forgotten my login details, how can I access the system?
Open Intrepid on the internet: https://www.intrepidv10.co.uk/HEE and click on ‘Forgot your PIN or Password’ – type your email address and follow the instructions on screen. Your login credentials will then be emailed to you. If your login email does not match the email you enter, and you do not receive login credentials, email CSL.email@example.com with your Firstname, Surname and GMC number. Put “Trainee Login Request” in the subject. You should receive your login details within 24 hours.
How will I know if my application is approved?
You will receive an automated email stating your application has been approved or declined. You will be able to monitor the progress of your request at any time on Intrepid. Where provided, approvers’ notes are recorded against their decisions – it is important you read these as there may be some important information for you.
Is there someone I can talk to about my request?
Each organisation will have a CSL Co-ordinators. A full list can be found on this page.
Can I appeal this process?
Yes. Please refer to the Study Leave policy on this page.