If you're looking to specialise in Paediatric Surgery, the East Midlands is a great place to train. Offering two Paediatric Surgery centres in two of England's top ten cities, you'll benefit from high quality training in one of the country's fastest growing and most vibrant regions.
Keep reading to find out more about Paediatric Surgery training in the East Midlands.
Excellent training opportunities in some of the country's leading facilities
When you train in Paediatric Surgery in the East Midlands you'll benefit from the excellent facilities at both Leicester Children's Hospital (part of the Leicester Royal Infirmary) and the Nottingham Children's Hospital (part of the renowned Queen's Medical Centre).
Both hospitals give you excellent opportunities for early, intermediate and advanced stages of high surgical training, including neonatal surgery, urology, upper and lower GI surgery and thoracic surgery. Minimally invasive surgery is routinely performed and you'll gain lots of experience in these techniques.
In addition, when you train in the East Midlands you'll benefit from additional experience in children's oncology surgery as the surgical aspects of the East Midlands Children & Young Persons Integrated Cancer Service are based in Nottingham. In addition, the supra-regional children's renal failure service is based in Nottingham, giving you exposure to the surgical aspects of renal failure, including transplantation.
Leicester hosts the regional children's cardiac centre and this means you'll benefit from invaluable experience caring for children who have both complex cardiac problems and a paediatric surgical condition.
Benefit from great research, training and teaching opportunities
When you join the Paediatric Surgery programme in the East Midlands you're joining a scheme with an excellent FRCS (Paed Surg) pass record. Many of our trainees have achieved a CCT and successfully moved on to a consultant post.
As well as a high quality training programme offering great experience, the Paediatric Surgery scheme in the East Midlands offers you lots of other opportunities. You'll be supported if you are looking for:
- An out of programme experience for research, training or experience - previous trainees have gained excellent experience both nationally and abroad
- Less than full time training - we encourage applicants who want to work less than full time. Our first part-time trainee is now one of our local consultants
- Clinical research - we encourage you to present and publish throughout your training and there are ample opportunities for research
- Teaching experience - you'll be expose to teaching and will have the chance to complete formal teaching courses and higher degrees
In addition, Nottingham has a post CCT fellowship post in Paediatric Urology and you'll have the opportunity to be appointed to this post and follow a career in Paediatric Urology.
The East Midlands is a great place to live and work
Boasting nine universities, three of England's major cities and hundreds of brilliant days out the East Midlands is a great place to live and work.
- Nottingham - Named by the Sunday Times as one of the top 50 urban places to live in the UK in 2015, Nottingham offers everything from Test cricket to world-class music, theatre and art
- Leicester - Just 67 minutes from London by train, Leicester is home to the National Space Centre, the biggest Diwali celebrations outside India and the UK's oldest comedy festival
- Derby - Gateway to the beautiful Peak District, Lonely Planet said Derby has 'a lot to offer...that you don't get anywhere else in England'
Add in the market towns of Northampton, Mansfield, Boston and Kettering and the cathedral city of Lincoln and you're never short of a day out. Watch the British Grand Prix, explore Sherwood Forest, visit the King Richard III Visitor's Centre or take a stroll up Steep Hill in Lincoln, recently voted Britain's Best Street.
For more information on Paediatric Surgery training in the East Midlands contact our Training Programme Director:
Brian Davies - firstname.lastname@example.org