Superb support, high pass rates and outstanding research opportunities - why you should undertake your Medical Oncology training in the East Midlands
When you study Medical Oncology in the East Midlands you'll benefit from excellent training in all sites of cancer, providing full exposure and expertise in these areas. The region boasts centres for excellence in both lung cancer and breast cancer and, thanks to the unique geography of the region, you can gain wide experience in a range of locations without the need for a long commute.
East Midlands Medical Oncology is a unified programme between Nottingham and Leicester, which means there is choice of base programme with a period of training time at the other centre.
Developing your career in the East Midlands also gives you outstanding opportunities for clinical and translational research at both the University of Leicester and the University of Nottingham. Opportunities for research posts as Academic Clinical Fellow (ACF) and Academic Clinical Lecturer (ACL) are available, providing a rich infrastructure and allowing you to undertake basic science and clinical research.
You'll benefit from superb support from an experienced team and we boast 100% pass rates with first/second attempts at the speciality examination (SCE) through the Royal College of Physicians. You'll also benefit from our 'monthly study day' initiative which allows trainees from across the region to learn together. This gives you the chance to keep in regular contact with fellow trainees and to benefit from strong peer support.
"The Oncology department offers a safe and supportive training environment, headed by inspiring and motivating Medical Oncology consultants. There are excellent opportunities to be involved in numerous national and international clinical trials through the HOPE clinical trials unit and trainees are encouraged to be actively involved in projects, research and the management of the department. I am currently enjoying my Medical Oncology training and I would highly recommend the programme." - Dr Meera Chauhan
East Midlands - home to some of England's most thriving towns and cities
A region full of history, culture and art, the East Midlands is a great place to develop your career. With 90% of the UK's population living within two hours travel there are excellent road and rail links to London, Birmingham, Leeds, Cambridge and Oxford while East Midlands international airport serves over 90 destinations.
The region has plenty to offer including some of the UK's most popular and thriving towns and cities. These include:
- Nottingham - the third fastest growing city in the country boasts a superb contemporary art gallery, a vibrant music scene and England's oldest pub. One of the UK's six Science Cities, Nottingham is also home to Test cricket, top quality ice hockey and the world's oldest football team
- Derby - England's most central city is undergoing a £2 billion transformation and is an internationally renowned centre for advanced engineering. Gateway to the Peak District - the UK's first national park - Derby is also one of the UK's highest ranking cities for public parkland per capita
- Northampton - Well located for London, Cambridge and Milton Keynes, Northampton boasts rich history and its market square dates back to 1235. It is home to some of the most beautiful countryside in the UK and the thrill of Formula One arrives every year with Silverstone just a few minutes away
- Leicester - Just 67 minutes from London by train, Leicester boasts the most established comedy festival in England and the largest Diwali celebrations outside India. One of England's top ten cities, Leicester also boasts a top 20 University and is a host city for the 2015 Rugby World Cup
- Lincoln - a historic Roman city, the Lincoln skyline is dominated by its Cathedral, the third largest in the UK. With hundreds of thousands of visitors every year and a thriving University it is a growing and modern city
For more information, speak to one of our Training Programme Directors:
Leicester - Dr Samreen Ahmed - email@example.com
Nottingham - Dr Sarah Khan - firstname.lastname@example.org